The Story Behind The Doctor Angel Face
From NYC cocktail bar Mister Paradise comes this bright, briny drink. It resembles a dirty Martini and features shochu, Fino sherry, and a fortified tomato water dashi. The latter takes some advance planning, but it holds in the refrigerator for up to a week. If you have any leftover, it's also a welcome addition to cocktails as well as salad dressings and chilled summer soups.
Fortified Tomato Water Dashi Ingredients
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes (approximately 4 medium-sized tomatoes)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ cup bonito flakes
Fortified Tomato Water Dashi Directions
- Combine tomatoes, water, salt, and sugar in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Line a colander with two layers of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Pour tomato mixture onto cheesecloth. Cover everything with plastic wrap and let sit overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove the plastic wrap, gather all four corners of the cheesecloth in one hand, and lightly press to squeeze out as much tomato water as possible.
- Add bonito flakes and rice vinegar to the water and stir to combine. Store in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Strain out solids and store, covered and refrigerated, for up to one week.