The Story Behind The Coconut Margarita
Want to make the flavors and aromas really pop? If you have a torch, use it to lightly fire a cinnamon stick garnish.
- 1 ½ ounces tequila
- ½ ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1 ounce coconut milk
- ½ to ¾ ounce toasted coconut syrup (recipe below)
- Rim a Collins glass with a 50/50 mixture of salt and cinnamon.
- Add remaining ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to combine, and then strain into your rimmed glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice and torched cinnamon stick.
Toasted Coconut Syrup Ingredients
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Toasted Coconut Syrup Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread coconut flakes evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring once, until flakes start turning brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine toasted coconut, sugar, and water to a medium saucepan over medium heat and simmer, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Strain out solids and let cool. Store the syrup, covered, in the refrigerator.