The Story Behind The Butterfly Daiquiri
Butterfly pea is fast becoming one of the most popular products in bars, popping up in bitters and tinctures. The name itself doesn’t sound so great, and on its own the taste is very unassuming.
But the wonderful thing about butterfly pea is its color. Once it comes into contact with citrus, it changes color into a beautiful purple. Using a few small drops in a cocktail can make for an impressive show — especially if you're mixing up drinks for company!
This Butterfly Daiquiri looks like it must be made with an array of wonderful ingredients, or even a few dashes of crème de violet. Instead, it’s simply an everyday Daiquiri elevated with a few drops of butterfly pea bitters. Give it a try with your favorite Daiquiri! You'll be amazed at the results.
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ¾ ounce simple syrup
- 4-5 dashes butterfly pea bitters
- Combine rum, lime juice and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake hard to chill and combine ingredients.
- Fine strain into a cocktail glass.
- Add butterfly pea bitters and watch the magic happen (a little stir helps, too).