The Story Behind The Spiked Blackberry Lemonade
This past week I took a trip to New York, and while enjoying the sights I came across a shop selling fresh blackberry lemonade that was so delicious, I knew I’d have to recreate it when I returned home. But the lemonade was missing one thing. Booze. So I headed to the store to grab all the necessary ingredients that would take my drink to the next level.
When I got home I first made the blackberry simple syrup by combining sugar, water and fresh blackberries in a pot and letting it simmer until all the sugar was dissolved and the flavor of the blackberries had imparted itself sufficiently into the mix. With my simple syrup ready, I then added the lemon juice and white rum, creating a fantastic cocktail that will always remind me of New York.
- 2 oz white rum
- 1 oz lemon juice
- ½ oz blackberry simple syrup (recipe below)
- 1.5 cups ice
- Combine the simple syrup, lemon juice and rum in cocktail shaker with 1 cup of ice.
- Shake hard to combine and chill ingredients and strain into a cocktail glass filled with fresh crushed ice.
- Garnish with blackberries.
Blackberry Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
Blackberry Simple Syrup Directions
- Combine ingredients in a pot and simmer until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Place in the fridge to cool for at least an hour.