The Story Behind The Rum Hot Toddy
It is, without a doubt, Hot Toddy season. This simple winter warmer can be made in different ways, but traditionally consists of whiskey, lemon juice, hot water, and spices of some sort. This variation calls for subbing out the whiskey for a quality aged rum.
Since many like to enjoy this cocktail while "under the weather," we recommend using a high-quality, organically made rum, such as Copalli Rum from Belize. Copalli is made with only three ingredients: organic sugar cane juice, yeast, and rain forest canopy water, resulting in a clean, flavorful rum that isn’t overly sweet and perfectly fits this cold-weather drink.
- 1 ½ ounces organic aged rum (such as Copalli Rum)
- ¾ ounce lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon allspice dram
- ½ ounce cinnamon syrup
- 3 ounces hot water
- Lemon wheel
- Cinnamon stick
- Fill a mug or tempered glass with hot water and let stand for a minute to heat the vessel.
- Empty the glass.
- Add a fresh 3 ounces of hot water.
- Add the cinnamon syrup and gently stir.
- Add rum, lemon juice, and allspice dram and stir again.
- Garnish with lemon wheel, cloves, and cinnamon stick.