The Story Behind The Blackthorn Returns
Once inside, if you wander down a short hallway and climb a staircase to what used to be a hayloft, you’ll find a stylish, laid-back lounge called The Rookery. With billiard tables, live music on occasion, a food menu, and an impressive cocktail list, you could easily stick around late into the night without realizing it.
On certain days of the week, The Rookery offers a “Dealer’s Choice” cocktail option, where the bartender will choose a lesser-known classic and add a twist or update. On a recent visit, bar manager Zackary Moreno made me a simple but delicious Blackthorn cocktail.
“The original recipe calls for dry vermouth and Angostura bitters,” Moreno said as he handed me the completed beverage, “But I’m a fan of the blanc vermouth in this recipe."
Ingredients In The Blackthorn Returns:
- 2 ounces Irish whiskey
- 1 ounce Cocchi Americano Bianca
- 2 dashes of orange bitters
- Absinthe (to rinse the glass)
- Lemon twist for garnish
Blackthorn Returns Directions:
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing glass.
- Add ice and stir until chilled.
- Strain into an absinthe-rinsed cordial glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.