The Story Behind The Banker's Choice
Coffee cocktails are having a moment. Australia’s cult Mr. Black liqueur is finally making its way into select American markets, and creative bartenders are embracing beans and brews in whiskey, rum, and vodka drinks that go way beyond the old-school Espresso Martini.
Bank & Bourbon, a clubby bar and restaurant in Philadelphia’s Center City, stocks more than 200 bourbons, whiskeys, and ryes. Bartenders infuse bourbon with medium-roast coffee beans for their Banker’s Choice cocktail, an elegant drink that also has amaro liqueur and the tiniest dash of maple-syrup sweetness. It’s the perfect early evening sipper — or nightcap, if you dare.
Ingredients In The Banker's Choice:
- 2 ounces coffee-infused bourbon (recipe follows)
- ½ ounce maple syrup
- ¼ ounce Lazzaroni Amaro
- ¼ ounce crème de peche
Banker's Choice Directions:
- Fill a cordial, coupe, or footed Old-Fashioned glass with crushed ice to chill.
- In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients with ice and stir for 45 seconds.
- Empty ice from cocktail glass.
- Strain cocktail into glass and serve neat.
Ingredients In The Coffee-infused bourbon:
- 1 cup medium-roast coffee beans
- 3 cups bourbon
Coffee-infused bourbon Directions:
- Combine beans and spirit in a medium bowl and steep for three hours.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Dispose of coffee beans.
- Keep chilled.