Every year, the American Homebrewers Association asks readers from its Zymurgy magazine to submit their favorite commercially available American beers. As has proven to be a trend in recent years, craft beers stole the show in this year’s list. Nine of the top 10 beers for 2020 came from small, independent craft brewers.
For the fourth year in a row, Bell’s Brewery’s Two Hearted Ale secured the top slot. The brewery’s Hopslam advanced to fifth place this year from last year’s seventh, and the brewery as a whole won top brewery for the second year in a row. Its major competitor Russian River Brewing Co. was ranked third in terms of breweries, with its Pliny the Elder earning second place on the list.
The top 10 list precedes the magazine’s November/December issue where the full top 25 list will be released. The early results include a state-by-state breakdown of winners, and recipes for cloning several of the beers.
Below you can check out the full top 10 list.
2020 Best Beers in America According to the AHA
(T indicates tie; *indicates small and independent craft brewer.)
- 1. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale*
- 2. Russian River Pliny the Elder*
- 3. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale*
- 4. The Alchemist Heady Topper*
- 5. Bell’s Hopslam*
- 6. Three Floyds Zombie Dust*
- T7. Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale *
- T7. Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
- 9. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA*
- 10. North Coast Old Rasputin*