Scofflaw Brewing Company in Atlanta has only been open for a little over year, but it’s already become a recognizable name in the Georgia craft beer scene. It’s one of the fastest-growing breweries in the U.S. — and it isn’t afraid to make headlines.
This past summer, Scofflaw posted a picture of the brewing team flipping off the camera in response to negative online comments. The rant accompanying the picture included the line, “Don’t think this is professional, well that’s good cause I am not a professional, I am a fucking scofflaw.”
There’s more to Scofflaw than just personality, though. There’s also good beer. We caught up with president and co-founder Matt Shirah to learn more about what got him into beer, his death-row brew of choice, and where to find the best bar in the country. (Hint: It’s in Georgia.)
Don't Miss A DropGet the latest in beer, wine, and cocktail culture sent straight to your inbox.
1. What’s your desert island beer?
2. What’s the beer that made you fall in love with beer?
You didn’t say craft. Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull in the magnum can format.
3. FMK three beer types: IPA, pilsner, sour.
IPA, IPA, and IPA … what is a pilsner?
4. You’re on death row. What’s your last supper beer?
I would ask for two Dogfish Head 120 Minutes. I would drink one to enjoy and I would funnel the second one.
5. You can only drink at one bar for the rest of your life. What is it?
6. What’s the best and worst beer in your fridge right now?
I am going to have to get off of my ass…………..best is a Fifty Fifty Brewing Eclipse. I have a feeling the worst would be that 7-year-old Pliny the Elder.
7. If you could no longer drink beer, what would be your beverage of choice?
Bojangles Sweet Tea.