Fall is here! We’re finally done sweating our way through hot sticky summers, and that means a whole new wardrobe, another blanket on the bed, and yes, a new roster of cocktails. Put away the blender and take out the shaker for these 7 cocktails that perfectly fit the crisp weather and colorful foliage.
1. Cranberry Margaritas by Gimme Some Oven:
- 1 1/2 cups cranberry juice cocktail (*see note below for optional homemade cranberry juice)
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau or Triple Sec
Stir all ingredients together until blended. Serve over ice in sugar- or salt-rimmed glasses, garnished with fresh cranberries and lime wedges if desired.
2. Pumpkin Martini by Food.com:
- 1 ounce heavy whipping cream (or for a little lighter you can use half and half)
- 1 ounce spiced rum
- 1⁄2 ounce pumpkin spice syrup
- whipped whipping cream
Fill your martini shaker with crushed ice and use a chilled martini glass. Put all ingredients in shaker and shake for a minute or so. Pour into glass. Grind a little nutmeg on top. You can also rim the glass with cinnamon sugar and put in a cinnamon stick.
3. Stonewall by Food and Wine:
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces aged rum
- 1 1/2 ounces apple cider
- 1 1/2 ounces chilled ginger beer
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 slice of apple
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the ginger with the simple syrup. Add the rum and cider; fill the shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass and top with the ginger beer. Garnish with the lime wedge and apple slice.
4. Apple, Pumpkin Beer cocktail by Cooking and Beer:
- 8 ounces good-quality bourbon
- 9 ounces apple cider
- 2 1/2 ounces lemon juice
- 12 ounces pumpkin ale
- cinnamon sticks and cranberries for garnish
In a cocktail shaker, shake together the bourbon, apple cider and lemon juice. Pour into 4 glasses filled with ice. Pour the beer evenly into each glass. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and cranberries.
5. Fall Fig Cocktail By The Kitchn:
- 1 California black mission fig
- 1 1/2 oz bourbon
- 1/2 oz fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 oz maple syrup (Grade B, if you can find it)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Remove the stem from the fig and cut it into quarters. Place the fig pieces in the bottom of a mixing glass. Add the maple syrup and muddle into a paste. Add the bourbon, orange juice, and balsamic vinegar, and fill the glass with ice. Shake anddouble strain into an old-fashioned glass with ice.
6. Apple Cider Mimosa by The Cookie Rookie:
- Apple cider
- Gold and silver sprinkles for rim of glass (optional)
- apple slices for garnish (optional)
Dip the top of each Champagne glass into water then dip in the sprinkles to coat. Pour each champagne glass 1/2-3/4 full with apple cider. Top with champagne, and enjoy.
7. Hunter’s Cocktail by About Food:
This cocktail gets its name from the fact that most hunting seasons take place in the fall. It’s simple, warm, and the perfect antidote to a long day.
- 1 1/2 ounces whiskey
- 1/2 ounce cherry brandy
- Maraschino cherry for garnish
Pour the whiskey and cherry brandy into an old-fashioned glass with ice. Stir well, and garnish with a maraschino cherry.