The Story Behind The Pumpkin Spice Flip
Something strange happens to us as soon as the weather gets cooler and the leaves change. We want pumpkin pie spices and fall flavors in everything!
Sadly, most of the pumpkin-themed drinks at your local coffee counter and cocktail bar don’t contain much or any real pumpkin. So I set out to make a simple cocktail that encapsulates these essential fall flavors without using anything artificial. As it turns out, organic pumpkin purée works really well in a shaken beverage, bringing a pleasantly creamy texture and unmistakably pumpkin-y taste.
My favorite version of this cocktail was with a quality aged rum, but this recipe is pretty versatile. I also tried it with añejo tequila, which put a different spin on it but was still quite delicious. Most aged spirits will work — if you’ve got some nice bourbon on hand, go ahead and give it a try!
- 2 ounces aged rum
- 2 tablespoons organic pumpkin purée
- ¾ ounce spiced-honey simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 egg white
- Pumpkin spice blend for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except for garnish in a cocktail shaker, and dry shake — in other words, shake without ice. This will marry your ingredients and break down your egg white.
- Add two 2-inch ice cubes to your tin, and shake again.
- Strain into a chilled cordial, couple, or rocks glass.
- Add a pinch of pumpkin spice blend on top for garnish.
Rate This Recipe:
Spiced-Honey Simple Syrup Ingredients
- 3 ounces honey
- 3 ounces water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ teaspoon allspice berries, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, star anise
Spiced-Honey Simple Syrup Directions
- Add honey and water to a saucepan over medium-low heat, and stir to combine.
- Add spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool before straining out the solids.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered, for up to two weeks.