The Story Behind The Hot Buttered Amaro
Those hoping to combine their love for amaro with utter indulgence need look no further than this riff on hot buttered rum. Nicole Battle, president of the Pittsburgh chapter of the United States Bartenders Guild (USBG), created the Hot Buttered Amaro using Vecchio Amaro del Capo, a bitter Calabrian liqueur.
Battle tends bar at DiAnoia’s Eatery, an Italian-accented, family-run bar and café in Pittsburgh’s Strip neighborhood. Her Hot Buttered Amaro is served all winter long in adorably retro glassware. (Feel free to substitute a coffee mug, thermos, or any heat-safe glassware at home.)
- 1 ounce batter (recipe below)
- 1 ½ ounces Vecchio Del Capo Amaro
- 2 ½ ounces hot water
- Nutmeg for garnish
- Combine batter, amaro, and hot water in a steam pitcher.
- Steam for 10 seconds on an espresso machine wand.
- Garnish with shaved nutmeg.
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- Cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Strain out cinnamon sticks and cloves.