The Story Behind The 24K Magic
Shrubs, or sweet drinking vinegars, are versatile cocktail ingredients. They can be infused with an array of fruits and spices, and their sharp tang complements sweet or savory drinks.
This cocktail from Momofuku Las Vegas features a carrot-ginger shrub that stands up to rye, citrus, sherry, and two types of bitters, giving the drink a bright, vegetal kick. It’s delicious in its own right, too. Try stirring a spoonful into sparkling water, or blend with oil and use to dress greens or grains.
- 2 ounces rye, such as Redemption
- 1 ounce carrot-ginger shrub (recipe follows)
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- ½ ounce oloroso sherry
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes orange bitters, such as Scrappy’s
- Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice, and shake to combine.
- Strain over fresh ice into a double rocks glass.
Carrot-ginger shrub Ingredients
- 2 cups unsweetened carrot juice
- 2 cups white sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup ginger juice (sold at supermarkets like Whole Foods, or on amazon.com)
- ⅔ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup white wine vinegar
Carrot-ginger shrub Directions
- Combine all ingredients except sugars in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Slowly add sugar to incorporate, and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.