The Story Behind The 7 & 7
The 7 & 7 cocktail was one of the most popular drinks of the ‘70s, and it’s a Hollywood legend in its own right — making appearances in “Mean Streets,” “Saturday Night Fever,” “Goodfellas,” and “The Sopranos.” The classic highball was a crowd-pleaser on the dance floor 50 years ago, and it’s still called for in bars today.
Simple to make, the name contains abbreviations of the two ingredients, 7Up and Seagram’s 7 whiskey. Sweet, with a citrusy palate and creamy vanilla finish, the 7 & 7 is easy to customize by adjusting the ratio of whiskey to soda.
- 2 ounces Seagram’s 7 Crown Blended Whiskey
- 4 ounces 7Up soda
- Garnish: lemon or lime wedge (or both)
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Add the whiskey followed by the 7Up.
- Stir gently and garnish with lemon or lime wedge (or both), squeezing it if you wish.