Finally, we can all agree that sparkling wine isn’t only for toasts and celebrations. Sparkling rosé is just as great on a Saturday evening with a well-thought-out cheese plate as it is on a random Tuesday Netflix night with a bag of chips. The brilliant thing about sparkling wine is that it’s at its best when teamed up with crispy, salty, or buttery snacks — the simpler the better. Go for the trifecta with a big bowl of popcorn. The exuberance of the bubbles cuts through the richness of butter or oil and dances with the salt, keeping you thirsty for more.
Should your bowl of air-popped kernels seem a little tired, here are three super delicious popcorn iterations — with sparkling wine ideas to match. Each recipe starts with the same popcorn base. From there, just switch in new toppings. The only thing left to decide? Are you pouring an Italian Prosecco, a California sparkling wine or a rosé crémant from Bordeaux? Click the link here to find out where to purchase any (or all) of the three bubbly wines!
Base Popcorn Recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup high-quality popcorn kernels
- Salt, to taste
- In a 3-quart heavy-bottom pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add the popcorn kernels to the oil. Cover the pot and remove from heat for 30 seconds.
- Return the pot to the heat and gently shake the pan. The kernels should start popping.
- Once it slows to several seconds in between pops, turn off the heat and carefully remove the lid.
- Pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Toss with toppings.