The Story Behind The Bolder Bramble
I love the look of a Bramble cocktail, and often take liberties with the name, riffing on its base of gin, lemon juice, sugar, and blackberry liqueur. For this variation I kept it quite close to the original, but instead of a sweet float I used some aromatic bitters. They sit nicely on top and give the drink a pleasant, slightly bitter first sip.
I opted for navy-strength gin, too, to make sure the spirit’s botanicals don’t get lost in the mix. This bold Bramble is full of flavor, which is not traditional but very tasty.
- 1½ ounces navy-strength gin
- ½ ounce Suze
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- ¼ ounce simple syrup
- 4 to 5 dashes aromatic bitters
- Combine all ingredients except bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake to chill and combine ingredients.
- Strain into a glass over crushed ice.
- Dash aromatic bitters on the top.