The Story Behind The Duchess Martini
“The Duchess” is a Nordic-inspired Martini riff developed by Lydia Mcluen, bar manager of Dóttir, a Scandinavian-style bar and restaurant located inside Portland, Ore.'s newly opened Kex Hotel.
To make this Martini variant match its Icelandic-inspired environs, Mcluen uses Brennivin Aquavit, an Icelandic acquavit with rich notes of caraway. She pairs it with her favorite vermouth, Carpano Bianco. For a touch of salinity, she adds Lustau Fino Sherry.
Apparently, this drink didn’t take much R&D: While developing the menu for Dóttir, Mcluen says about the Duchess, "I made it, tried it, and thought it was perfect as is.”
Skál to that.
- 1 ½ ounces Brennivin Aquavit
- 1 ounce Carpano Bianco Vermouth
- ¼ ounce Lustau Fino Sherry
- Combine ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir.
- Strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.