The Story Behind The Don Julio Winter Margarita
A balanced Margarita that tastes refreshing is never out of season. Although this ubiquitous summertime cocktail might not be as front of mind during the colder months, with some creative changes to the ingredients, this cocktail will channel those cozy winter vibes. The Don Julio Winter Margarita is a cocktail staple, all season long.
This Winter Margarita recipe works perfectly with Don Julio Reposado, which has some pear and citrus on the palate, along with a touch of subtle smoke. Fresh lime juice is a must in any Margarita recipe, but instead of using a traditional orange liqueur to balance the recipe, this version calls for a spiced cranberry syrup that incorporates various warming spices. An optional addition is a few dashes of Bolivar bitters, which will further accentuate the spice flavors of this cocktail.
*Spiced Cranberry Syrup Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup whole cranberries
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 star anise
- ½ tablespoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon crushed allspice
*Spiced Cranberry Syrup Directions
- Combine sugar, water, and cranberries in a saucepan and heat on medium.
- Gently stir as the mixture heats. You’ll notice the cranberries will start to “pop.”
- Add all the spices and lightly simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool before straining out the solids.
- Pour into a resealable container and store in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.