Referred to often as “The Olympics of Beer Competitions,” The World Beer Cup has announced its 2022 winners. The competition, developed in the mid-1990s by The Brewers Association, was created as a means to celebrate the delicate craft of beer brewing.
The Cup recognizes above-and-beyond brewing in 103 categories, awarding the top three entries in each with gold, silver, and bronze distinctions. Categories include, but are not limited to: Sour Ales, a variety of India Pale Ale styles, German-Style Hefeweizen, and American Wheat Beer. The judging panel consists of a collection of those involved in the brewing industry, including highly-regarded industry suppliers, writers, consultants, and brewers.
Competition manager Chris Swersey argues that, “On a professional level, beer evaluation is a form of peer review. The results are public, so consumers can learn what beers meet a high level of quality and what beers exemplify certain styles as interpreted by the judges.”
Here are the beers that stepped onto the podium in some of the category’s most popular styles:
India Pale Ales
American-Style India Pale Ale
- Gold: Hop-Fu! from North Park Beer Co.
- Silver: Super Slap from Brewery X
- Bronze: Aurora Hoppyalis IPA from Karl Strauss Brewing Co.
Experimental India Pale Ale
- Gold: The Sprut Mount from Mount Arrowsmith Brewing Co.
- Silver: Cool Cucumber IPA from HOB Brewing Co.
- Bronze: IPA-X from Marble Brewery-Production
Imperial India Pale Ale
- Gold: Space Lettuce from Monday Night Brewing
- Silver: Cali Boy from No Label Brewing Co.
- Bronze: Devil’s Pool from Wissahickon Brewing Co.
International India Pale Ale
- Gold: Namahage IPA from Aqula Brewery Akita
- Silver: All Your Friends from Green Cheek Beer Co.
- Bronze: Bent Hop from Bent Paddle Brewing Co.
Session India Pale Ale
- Gold: Trump Hands from Cannonball Creek Brewing Co.
- Silver: Moon Rocks from Mickey Finn’s Brewery
- Bronze: Tiny Juicy IPA from Five Boroughs Brewing Co.
Juicy or Hazy
Juicy or Hazy Imperial India Pale Ale
- Gold: Pantless Thunder Goose from Mast Landing Brewing Co.
- Silver: Houblon Deluxe from Pure Project
- Bronze: Citra Powered Jetpack from Barebottle Brewing Co.
Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale
- Gold: Rhymes Like Dimes from Xül Beer Co.
- Silver: Blue Comet from Widowmaker Brewing
- Bronze: Tasty Jams from Brix City Brewing
Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale
- Gold: Hazealicious from Ruben’s Brews – The Taproom
- Silver: Baby Azacca from 33 Brewing Experiment
- Bronze: Haze in the Park from Kings & Convicts Brewing Co.
Juicy or Hazy Strong Pale Ale
- Gold: Orange Glow from Slice Beer Co.
- Silver: Wrench from Industrial Arts Brewing Co.
- Bronze: Shootz Mahalo from Craft Coast
American-Style Sour Ale
- Gold: Low pHunk from MobCraft Beer
- Silver: Brilliant from 10 Barrel Brewing Co. – Bend
- Bronze: Cryptoporticus from Level Crossing Brewing Co.
Belgian-Style Sour Ale
- Gold: Triad from IMBIB Custom Brews
- Silver: Oud Bruin from Funkwerks
- Bronze: Funk Yeah from Beachwood Blendery
Fruited American-Style Sour Ale
- Gold: Pink from Vallensons’ Beer Co.
- Silver: Azedo Tropical Fruit Sour from Brewhall Beer Co.
- Bronze: Blood Moon from Whitewater Brewing Co.
German-Style Sour Ale
- Gold: Holy Gose from Anderson Valley Brewing Co.
- Silver: Berlin Alexanderplatz from Hopfenstark Brewery
- Bronze: Restless Seas from Narrow Path Brewing Co.
Check out the full list of winners to see where your favorite beers stacked up.