The term “beer bottle bomb” may sound like a potent cocktail or some kind of elaborate drinking game, but for homebrewers and others in-the-know, the term refers to a potentially dangerous phenomenon where recently-bottled brews explode. This happens because of too much sugar, bottling too early, or excess carbonation.

While beer bottle bombs are much less common in industrial brewing, a worrying list of incidents has recently added a California man being severely injured by a rogue Corona bottle.

Retired California lawyer John Jay Curtis told the New York Post how he was carrying a 24-bottle case of the Mexican beer into his Mission Viejo, Calif., house, when one of the bottles exploded, causing him to briefly lose consciousness and bleed “profusely” for 20 minutes.

“It’s like they are selling glass hand grenades,” Curtis told the Post.

When his wounds didn’t heal, Curtis visited his local physician, only to be told that his was not an isolated case of exploding Corona.

In 2007, a Long Island toddler was left partially blind after a bottle exploded during a Fourth of July party. The toddler’s family sued Corona for $46 million in 2008.

In July 2017, another exploding Corona bottle caused severe injuries to the eye of a Manhattan barback, who sued for pain, suffering, and loss of vision. In July 2018, a Queens construction worker had to receive emergency surgery after yet another Corona bottle exploded into his eye.

Michael McGrew, a spokesman for Constellation, the brand which owns Corona, said, “We take any claims related to consumer safety, health and well-being seriously. I can say unequivocally that we conduct rigorous testing throughout our production process, and our bottles are designed and tested to maintain their integrity.”

While McGrew claims that Constellation will investigate the matter thoroughly, Curtis has already noted his intention to sue, and wants Corona to issue a recall to prevent any further injuries.